The top reasons for having an electrical inspection
The main reasons for having an electrician inspect the electrical wiring and switchboard of your home is to give you peace of mind knowing that you and your family are safe.
An electrical inspection is essential:
- If your home is more than 25 years old and has not had an inspection
- Or if you have old wiring in your home.
- If you are selling your property it is a good selling point to present to any potential buyers that an inspection has been performed by a licensed electrician.
- The most recent reason for having an electrical inspection on your electrical wiring is the ACCC infinity cable safety recall. ACCC issued a national recall in 2014 “testing has found that the cables will degrade prematurely and insulation could break and expose live conductors resulting in possible electric shock or fires”
Talk to one of our expert electricians to perform an audit at your home or investment property.
An audit of your home will involve a safety check making sure your electrical circuits and equipment are not overloaded. Deficiencies and potential problems are easily highlighted so that any electrical hazards in the installation can be rectified immediately. Our electricians also inspect older houses that have not been inspected for many years may. Older homes may still be equipped with faulty earthing or bonding which means they may be have higher electrocution risk and will need to be rectified immediately by a licensed electrician.
The ACCC estimates:
- Over 40,000 homes and business in Australia could be effected from this poor quality infinity electrical cable installed between 2010 and 2013
- 4000 kilometres of defective cables have been installed
- Nearly ½ the cable was installed in NSW homes
What you should do
If you have purchased a new property, renovated or had any electrical work done between 2010 and 2013, South Coast Electrical Solutions is urging you to call now and get your wiring inspected by a licensed electrician.
The good news for South Coast Electrical Solutions customers is none of our customers were affected by the infinity cable recall as South Coast Electrical Solutions did not purchase any infinity branded cable. However unfortunately we do not know where the cable may have been installed by DIY’s and other electricians. The only way to check if the infinity cable has been installed in your property is to have a licensed electrician check.
Find out more
If you want to find out more about the ACCC campaign go to the ACCC website: http://www.accc.gov.au/update/infinity-cable-recall-act-now-before-its-too-late or to watch a short video the ACCC has put out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPsel50Itn8
Why is it important
Do not put yourself or your family’s lives at risk and know the dangers of electricity. Potentially fatal electrical accidents can happen in the home and knowledge about the dangers of electricity is everyone’s businesses.
It is important to make sure that the electrical installation in your property is well maintained, and we recommend that you use a licensed electrician to check that it is safe.
You would not delay calling a licensed electrician when a powerpoint or light switch becomes faulty or your home losses power because of faulty wiring. It should be a priority to make sure our homes are safe for our family, and to protect your largest financial investment, your home.
Having an electrician inspect your property could uncover some issues which, once repaired, could save you money.
Listed below are some simple visual checks you can do yourself:
- Check that you have RCD protection in your switchboard.
- Make sure that your powerpoints are not overloaded.
- Ensure that powerpoints are not damaged.
- Check that visible cables and leads are in good condition.
- Check that your light fittings are not visibly damaged.
- Check your downlights are in good working condition.
- Check that you are not storing combustible materials around your switchboard.
- Do not use the top of the microwave for storing items.
- Never trail cables under carpets or rugs.
- Do not coil cables while they are being used.
- Never take mains-powered electrical items into the bathroom.
- Switch off your electrical items when they are not in use.
- Ensure the electrical items you use meet Australian Standards
Anyone can do a quick visual check to ensure their home is electrically safe but having a licensed electrician perform an electrical safety check will give you peace of mind.
Early detection of potential electrical dangers in and around your home could potentially reduce serious risks issues. If you do notice an issue of something that you are not sure about, please call South Coast Electrical Solutions, we are located in Batemans Bay and operate in the areas from Batemans Bay to Moruya.